Free legal services in Diepsloot

 

Werksmans has re-opened the Diepsloot Law Clinic offering free legal services to low income consumers in Diepsloot every Tuesday from 9h00 until 12h00 at the SANCA Counselling House, between Akani Foundation and BASA Primary School. In order to qualify for free assistance, applicants must earn a gross monthly household income of R7000 or less. This is stipulated by the Law Society of the Northern Provinces. They will need to bring their proof of identity (ID if they have one or passport/refugee permit) and proof of income (such as a salary slip). We will offer legal services relating to the following types of queries:
     - late registration of births/access to ID;
     - consumer protection queries;
     - understanding any type of contract including instalment sale agreements, cellphone contracts etc;
     - queries on retirement policies, insurance policies;
     - review of social grant applications that SASSA has already refused;
     - garnishee order queries;
     - lease agreements/housing related queries;
     - information on maintenance claims and
     - labour law queries.
We also offer FREE training workshops on a host of legal topics to organisations. We have previously held workshops on maintenance, harassment and consumer protection. You may contact us if you require any legal training. We are happy to consider your organisations specific needs and develop a training workshop which could assist your beneficiaries. Please note that at this stage we will not be able to assist with:
     - family law cases (divorces, custody of children)
     - domestic violence
     - criminal law cases
     - debt counselling
The law clinic is stocked with free consumer education publications, brochures and newspapers on a range of topics. We will see people on a Tuesday morning on a first come, first served basis or theycan make an appointment by phoning Zizipho on 011 535 8358 or nmotsiri@werksmans.com 

r444m upgrade commences on gauteng's n14 freeway

 

Posted by Riante Naidoo on May 19, 2017 in News, Transport

 

The N14 freeway between Diepsloot and Brakfontein will be undergoing a R444 million upgrade over the next two years. The project was launched at the beginning of May by Ismail Vadi, Gauteng MEC for roads and transport.

Vadi said the 21km project will rehabilitate the remaining portion of the N14 freeway that connects Centurion and Krugersdorp. The road also offers alternate routes to the Sandton CBD, Lanseria Airport and Diepsloot. “This is a toll-free project and follows the completion of the first phase of the N14 project from Krugersdorp to Diepsloot,” Vadi said. He said the N14, which was originally constructed in 1978, had reached the end of its life span. “With traffic volumes on the N14 growing at a rate of 3.2 percent per annum, the freeway has seen sharp increases in traffic flows, particularly at peak times, necessitating its upgrade,” he said.

Construction

The project will see the addition of an additional third lane to the freeway to increase mobility during peak times. This will be a fast lane. The project will also see the reconstruction of sub-base where required, existing defective asphalt will be removed, new road markings will be painted, existing bridges will be repaired, and new guardrails will be installed where necessary.

Vadi indicated that the project has been designed to improve the structural and functional condition of the road by means of strengthening the pavement structure and providing a new asphalt overlay. New concrete lined drains and subsoil drains will also be added and aid in the preservation of the pavement structure. He said this will add to the safety of the road user.

Additional objectives of the project include the provision of skills development opportunities, as well as to provide training and economic empowerment to local contractors.

Vadi ended his address by appealing to motorists to exercise extra caution on the road during the upcoming 24 month construction period.

 

Diepsloot station not adequately resourced to deal with violence against women

 

14 August 2017

Today’s visit to the Diepsloot Police Station made it clear that the station is not adequately resourced to deal with reports of violence against women. Insufficient police training only serves to worsen the problem. This is what happens when there is a lack of accountability and senior management does not support station management enough.

Shockingly, we found that over the last five months at this station, 110 (over 60%) of the 179 reported common assault cases were against women and children. Women and children were the victims of more than 80% of the reported domestic violence cases and over 90% of the reported rape cases. The station is hampered by under-resourcing and under-staffing. Specifically:

- The nearest FCS Unit to the station is located in Roodepoort, which sometimes causes delays in the hand-over of sexual offence cases. Rape kits are also not kept at the station.

- There is an urgent need for the establishment of satellite police stations, due to the incredibly large area the station has to cover, which includes outlying and semi-rural sectors.

- Due to long delays in procuring replacement parts at the SAPS Garages, the station also struggles with the necessary vehicles to effectively police the whole area.

In a society where horrific attacks and murders occur on a daily basis, like those of Sasha Arendse, Courtney Pieters, Popi Qwabe, Bongeka Phungula, Lerato Moloi and Karabo Mokoena, among many others, it is unacceptable that this police station has not been given the equipment and manpower they need to help make inroads against those who commit violent acts against women.

However, combating gender violence is clearly not an ANC priority.

The ANC have illustrated this fact regularly by allowing its Ministers, Deputy Ministers and even Cabinet Ministers to protect and perpetuate gender violence. Just yesterday, the ANC Women’s League President admitted that she knows many who have behaved worse than Deputy Minister Manana who has admitted to assaulting a women in a night club and has been accused of mistreating his female staff members. Yet she has done nothing to put a stop to these abuses.

The fact is that we will never put a stop to the scourge of violence until the SAPS is given the equipment and training they need to combat it and until leaders stop normalising and perpetuating violence against women.

Issued by Zakhele Mbhele, DA Shadow Minister of Police, 14 August 2017.

Diepsloot protest puts a stop to thousands of residents from going to work.

 

“The R511 is affected between Sandton and Centurion. That road should be avoided completely and the N14 from Krugersdorp is also being affected. More officials are being sent to the scene to direct traffic. Motorists can make use of the N1 as an alternative route this morning‚” said Minnaar.

Many residents were left stranded as all exist points were barricaded by the protesters. The residents from Diepsloot Ext 1, 2, 7 and 12 were protesting against poor service delivery. Their demanding amongst other are, electricity and running water.